Pillar #3

Our Historic Home

In 1919, the WCA purchased this building, 725 Madison Avenue. The impressive two-story structure, designed by the Rochester architectural firm of Nolan, Nolan, and Stern, was built in 1895 for Joseph Steefel, one of two brothers who owned Steefel’s, a clothing store in downtown Albany. Barnard Steefel built the twin house next door. The houses are known for their brickwork and porches echoing the horizontal lines of the Prairie style. In 1972, The Woman’s Club building was included in the Washington Park Historic District, which is on the National and New York State Registers of Historic Places. The building is designated locally under the City of Albany Historic Resources Commission Ordinance.


The Steefel Houses in 1897


Tidbits from the WCA Annual Booklet 1914

Club purchases three-story home for $20,000 as their permanent clubhouse at 725 Madison Ave., with money accumulated in a fund started when the club formed.

Tidbits from the WCA Annual Booklet 1926-27

In its 16th year after spending $13,211 on remodeling the second floor, the club held its first meeting in the new auditorium in October. In November, the club held a housewarming reception for members and family. The club owned two upright pianos, one in the drawing room and one for dance music in the auditorium. The assessed value of the house was $25,000, with a mortgage of $5,500.

Tidbits from 1970

Celebrates 60th anniversary with a mortgage-burning ceremony. 

Tidbits from 1995

Only a dozen members remain, and the club isn't sure it will be able to afford to maintain the 100-year-old home much longer.

Tidbits from 2001

Reaches out to community for new members and begins renting out the home for functions such as weddings anniversaries graduations and business functions to support the home financially. 

Dedication of Auditorium 1970


The Woman's Club of Albany

725 Madison Avenue • Albany • New York • 12208

518-465-3626


womansclubofalbany725@gmail.com

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software